Katowice may not be the first name on your holiday destination list, but it is well worth a visit. This is why you should visit Katowice.
1. Katowice has a long history and has often changed hands. Today it is a multi-ethnic city and it is home to Poles, Germans, Jews, and Silesians, who are native to this region of Poland.
2. The industrial revolution made the city important for coal and steel production. Katowice played a hugely important role in the development and modernization of Poland.
3. While it is arguably not as cultural as some other Polish cities, there is still plenty to see and do. The Wyspianski Silesian Theater, as well as the many museums such as the Silesian Museum and the History of Katowice Museum, are well worth a visit while you are here. The city hosts many festivals and music concerts throughout the year.
4. Katowice is known for its green spaces and parks, despite being an industrial city. This ensures that it has a more relaxed atmosphere than some other industrial cities. Visit the Silesian Cultur and Refreshment Park, Tadeusz Kosciuszko Park or Zadole Park if you want to sit and watch the world go by. There are also many other smaller parks in the city.
5. Modern skyscrapers, Drapacz Chmur, one of the first skyscrapers in Europe, can be found in the city, as well as modernist and art nouveau architecture, such as the Katowice Cathedral. If you are a fan of architecture and buildings you will be impressed by Katowice.
6. The Rynek area offers many shops and restaurants if you want to get away from the parks and buildings. You will not want to miss St. Stephen’s Church as it is also well worth a visit. The Silesian Insurgent Monument, the Silesian Library and the Goldstein Palace should not be missed either.
7. Perhaps surprisingly, Katowice has a thriving live music scene. In addition to smaller local venues, such as the Jazz Club, larger foreign acts usually play concerts at the Spodek venue in the city. In addition to playing modern music, Katowice is also home to the Polish National Orchestra.
8. If you want to visit Katowice you will be happy to know that accommodation is available for all budgets. Whether you want a bed and breakfast or a luxury hotel, you will always find something that suits your budget.
9. Because there is good transport infrastructure, it is easy to travel around the country. If you’re feeling adventurous, Vienna and Prague are only a few hours away by train.
10. A weekend in Katowice is not your normal weekend getaway, but it will be a pleasant and refreshing change if you try to avoid the usual stag weekend destinations and want something more than a beach and some sun.
Now that you know more about some of the many things you can see and do here, is it not time you book your flights to Katowice?